Saturday, September 15, 2007

Crazy house

I haven't been on much lately. Thanks have been crazy here.

Izzy has been doing pretty well lately diabetes wise. She is enjoying school and her new teachers and friends. Her blood sugars are doing pretty well too. Mostly in line with a couple of lows in the 60's and 70's so not too bad. Then all of a sudden she skyrocketed. Two nights in a row. Tuesday and Wednesday nights were not great. She then woke up Thursday and said that she didn't feel well. I asked her what was wrong and if she felt low. She said she wasn't low, she just didn't feel well. I was having a hard time waking up so I told her to hold on a minute while I woke up and she fell asleep. She never falls asleep like that so I knew something was wrong. When she woke up, she said she didn't feel like going to school.

We all had a really great morning. The kids played really well together after breakfast and then we had to go to the mall to get Alex's portraits done. That was lots of fun. Apparently my super friendly 18 month old little guy did not want to have his picture taken. But, with a good photographer we got some really great pictures all while Isabelle was playing all over the place and not acting like she was sick at all. I was thinking that I should have went ahead and sent her to school.

After portraits I took her in to the peds and she has a sinus infection. Lovely.

Before I could even get her prescription filled poor Alex was whining in the back seat so I thought I should just take him home and put him down for his nap. We didn't get Izzy's prescription filled because by the time Alex woke up from his nap it was about 5:00 and it was raining so we just stayed home.

Later that night Alex started crying and just didn't stop. He cred for about 2 hours and then finally fell asleep until about 5:00am. He woke up screaming again. I went back in and he had a really runny, poopy diaper. I changed him and the poor kid was asleep before I even got finished.

I knew sometime in the middle of the night that I was going to have to take him to the doctors. So off to the peds we go. We saw the same dr as the day before. She was surprised to see us. Alex has an ear infection. We stopped at the grocery store where we get our prescriptions filled and I got some groceries while we waited for our prescriptions. Alex was miserable before we were even done. I took the kids home and gave Alex his meds plus some Tylenol and some ear drops for pain and put him to bed. He was out immediately. But, only for about 40 minutes. Then he woke up and screamed for over 2 hours.

I noticed about and hour and a half into the screaming that he had a rash all over his legs and arms so I grab the medication leaflet and of course rash is on the list of side effects/allergic reactions. I called the peds and they wanted us to come back in at the end of the day. Shortly after Alex threw up and of course he wouldn't take anything to drink. He finally fell asleep and I had to wake him up about 15 minutes later to get in the car and go to the peds. By that time his rash was completely gone. They took a look at him, but because they couldn't see the rash they couldn't tell if it was an allergic reaction or not. The dr told me to go ahead and give him his next dose in the morning and if he had the same reaction then fill the new prescription that she gave me.

I have to say the whole time we were at home before going to the peds for the second time I was freaking out. Alex rarely ever cries. And for him to cry that long and that badly it was not good. If I had anyone to take care of Isabelle I probably would have just taken him to the emergency room. The poor kid was just miserable. I'm sure that I freaked Thomas out, he called as we were about to leave for the peds and I almost started crying on the phone with him. I hate being the Mom when you don't know what to do. It sucks. Izzy was freaking out too. She isn't used to hearing Alex cry and it is a little nerve wracking on a good day. At one point I laid him down on the couch so that I could talk to the doctors office and she walked over to him and said, "Quit crying!!!". I of course told her that he can't help it that he is very sick and is miserable. She then said "I'm freakin!" I had to ask her what she said. She repeated it and I had to laugh. I know that I had to have said that I was freaking out while I was on the phone with the doctors office. She hears everything.

The whole time we were at the peds Alex is just laying on me. That is not normal Alex behaviour. I brought him home and he was still whining and crying and just miserable. We gave him some Benedryl and some Motrin and he finally fell asleep. The poor kid slept until 7:15 this morning. I was so worried about him! I actually got up about 3 times last night and checked in on him.

Thomas and I talked about it and there was no way we were going to give him that medicine again. The ped thinks it might have been some sort of stomach virus that was causing all of the crying and the rash/hives so they wanted us to give it to him again to see if he had the same reaction. I just went this morning and filled the new prescription instead.

Alex woke up this morning acting really great. He has been a little clingy today, but he is drinking a lot (thank God!...all he had yesterday was like 1 cup of juice) and he had a little bit of an appetite. He had a pretty good day, but he did have a really hard time going to bed tonight. I think he just wanted Mommy to hold him and cuddle him and so did Izzy. It's hard to be in two places at once so it was a tough couple of hours trying to get them both to sleep. But, everyone is quiet now so I'm off to bed. Wish me luck...I am hoping that everyone sleeps through the night.

Sort of a re-cap. I think I broke my own record...three visits to the doctors in 2 days!!!! Geez.


Paige said...

Wow, that is too much. I hope that everyone is back to normal ASAP.

AmyT said...

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the OC. I'm a Type 1 and mom of 3 kids, too. Small world!

Have you found me yet over at I'd love it if you'd visit, and maybe add me to your blogroll.

All the best,

Lisa said...

Paige we are actually back to normal now. Our brand of normal anyway. Hope it lasts for a while. :)

Hi Amy! I'll come visit asap and add you to my list. Thanks for visiting!